The Arctic System Reanalysis (ASR)
- NASA (June 2015 - June 2017) to complete ASRv2 2000-2012
- The National Science Foundation as an International Polar Year (IPY) project
- The National Science Foundation as an International Polar Year (IPY) project
Latest News on ASR (2017/12/08):
ASRv2 15-km has been completed for 2000-2012 and is available at NCAR CISL RDA. Expedited completion was facilitated by the Ohio Supercomputer Center providing enhanced access to their new Owens cluster. A full description of ASRv2 is in press with the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (Manuscript, PDF).
Our current task is extending ASRv2 15-km through the end of 2016 with an expected completion date of end of 2017.
Because of local computer issues, we need to rerun ASRv2. We will take advantage of this requirement to update ASRv2 using the latest version 3.9.1 of WRF and WRFDA, change the microphysics scheme to Morrison with specified variable aerosol concentrations, and output the surface variables at hourly intervals. Horizontal and vertical resolution will remain the same as ASRv2. We call this new version ASRv2.1. We expect to complete 2000-2017 by mid-2018, and then to keep ASRv2.1 up to date with a delay of roughly 3 months. This will be continued at least through the end of the MOSAiC drift campaign in the Arctic, i.e., end of 2020. ASRv2.1 will be available through NCAR.
ASRv1 30-km (formerly ASR final version) is complete for January 1, 2000 - December 31, 2012 and will not be extended. ASRv1 30-km is available at the NCAR CISL RDA. A write-up on ASRv1 is available in Bromwich et al. (2016) see below.
Some results for ASRv2 15-km for 2007
- ASR Domains
- Precipitation (inner domain): ASRv1
- ASR vs ~4500 Surface Observations (inner domain). Smaller biases, RMSEs, and higher correlations show better performance.
The Arctic System Reanalysis (ASR), which can be viewed as a blend of modeling and observations, provides a high resolution description in space (15 km) and time (3 h) of the atmosphere-sea ice-land surface system of the Arctic. The ASR ingests historical data streams of the physical components of the Arctic. Gridded fields from the ASR, such as temperature, radiation and winds, also serve as drivers for coupled ice-ocean, land surface and other models. The ASR permits reconstructions of the Arctic system's state, thereby serving as a state-of-the-art synthesis tool for assessing Arctic climate variability and monitoring Arctic change.
Recent publications based in part or entirely on ASR
- Bromwich, D., A. Wilson, L. Bai, Z. Liu, M. Barlage, C. Shih, S. Maldonado, K. Hines, S.-H. Wang, J. Woollen, B. Kuo, H. Lin, T. Wee, M. Serreze, and J. Walsh, 2018: The Arctic System Reanalysis Version 2. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., doi:10.1175/BAMS-D-16-0215.1, in press. (Manuscript, PDF)
- Kohnemann, S. H. E., G. Heinemann, D. H. Bromwich, and O. Gutjahr, 2017: Extreme warming in the Kara Sea and Barents Sea during the winter period 2000-2016. J. Clim., 30, 8913-8927, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0693. Full Text (PDF)
- Kolstad, E. W., 2017: Higher ocean wind speeds during marine cold air outbreaks. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 143, 2084-2092, doi: 10.1002/qj.23068. Full Text (PDF)
- Smirnova, J., and P. Golubkin, 2017: Comparing polar lows in atmospheric reanalyses: Arctic System Reanalysis versus ERA-Interim. Mon. Wea. Rev., 145, 2375-2383, doi: 10.1175/MWR-D-16-0333.1. Full Text (PDF)
- Bromwich, D. H., A. B. Wilson, L. Bai, G. W. K. Moore, and P. Bauer, 2016: A comparison of the regional Arctic System Reanalysis and the global ERA-Interim Reanalysis for the Arctic. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 142, 644-658, doi: 10.1002/qj.2527. Full Text (PDF)
- Moore, G. W. K., D. H. Bromwich, A. B. Wilson, I. Renfrew, and L. Bai, 2016: Arctic System Reanalysis improvements in topographically-forced winds near Greenland. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 142, 2033-2045, doi: 10.1002/qj.2798. Full Text (PDF)
- Moore, G. W. K., I. A. Renfrew, B. E. Harden, and S. H. Nernild, 2015: The impact of resolution on the representation of southeast Greenland barrier winds and katabatic flows. Geophys. Res. Letts., 42, doi: 10.1002/2015GL063550. Full Text (PDF), Supplementary (PDF)
- Rampal, P., S. Bouillon, E. Ólason, and M. Morlighem, 2015: neXtSIM: a new Lagrangian sea ice model, The Cryosphere Discuss., 9, 5885-5941, doi:10.5194/tcd-9-5885-2015. Full Text (PDF)
- Tuononen, M., V. A. Sinclair, and T. Vihma, 2015: A climatology of low-level jets in the mid-latituesand polar regions of the Northern Hemisphere. Atmos. Sci. Let., 16, 492-499, doi: 10.1002/asl.587.
- Moore, G. W. K., 2014: A new look at Southeast Greenland barrier winds and katabatic flow. US CLIVAR Variations Newsletter, 12, No. 2, 13-19. Full Text (PDF)
- Tilinina, N., S. K. Gulev, and D. H. Bromwich, 2014: New view of Arctic cyclone activity from the Arctic System Reanalysis. Geophys. Res. Letts., 41, doi: 10.1002/2013gl058924. Full Text (PDF)
- Wesslén C., M. Tjernström, D. H. Bromwich, G. de Boer, A. M. L. Ekman, L.-S. Bai, and S.-H. Wang, 2014: The Arctic summer atmosphere: An evaluation of reanalyses using ASCOS data. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 14, 2605-2624, doi:10.5194/acp-14-2605-2014. Full Text (PDF)
- Moore, G. W. K., 2013: The Novaya Zemlya Bora and its impact on Barents Sea air-sea interaction. Geophys. Res. Letts., 40, 3462-3467, doi: 10.1002/grl.50641. Full Text (PDF)
- Bromwich et al., 2017: Improving the representation of the Greater Arctic with ASRv2. 5th International Conference on Reanalysis (ICR5), November 13-17, 2017, Rome, Italy. (PDF)
- Bromwich et al., 2017: The Arctic System Reanalysis. MOSAiC Implementation Workshop, November 13-16, 2017, St. Petersburg, Russia, (PDF)
- Bromwich, D. H., A. B. Wilson, L.-S. Bai, G. W. K. Moore, K. M. Hines, S.-H. Wang, W. Kuo, Z. Liu, H.-C. Lin, T.-K. Wee, M. Barlage, M. C. Serreze, J. E. Walsh, A. Slater, J. Woollen, and C.-F. Shih, 2017: Arctic System Reanalysis depiction of Arctic atmospheric circulation. 1st (AC)3 Science Conference on Arctic Amplification, March 26-28, 2017, Bremen, Germany. (PDF)
- Bromwich, D. H., A. B. Wilson, L.-S. Bai, G. W. K. Moore, K. M. Hines, S.-H. Wang, W. Kuo, Z. Liu, H.-C. Lin, T.-K. Wee, M. Barlage, M. C. Serreze, J. E. Walsh, and A. Slater, 2017: Arctic System Reanalysis: motivation, development, and performance. NCEP, February 28, 2017, College Park, MD. (PDF)
- Bromwich, D. H., A. B. Wilson, L.-S. Bai, G. W. K. Moore, B. Kuo, Z. Liu, H.-C. Lin, and M. Barlage, 2014: A comparison of the regional Arctic System Reanalysis and the global ERA-Interim Reanalysis for the Arctic. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 2014, San Francisco, CA. (PDF)
- Tilinina, N., S. Gulev, and D. H. Bromwich, 2014: New view of Arctic cyclone activity from the Arctic System Reanalysis. EGU General Assembly, 27 April - 02 May 2014, Vienna, Austria. (PDF)
- Bromwich, D. H., L. Bai, K. M. Hines, S.-H. Wang, B. Kuo, Z. Liu, H.-C. Lin, M. Barlage, M. C. Serreze, J. E. Walsh, 2012: Very high resolution Arctic System Reanalysis for 2000-2011. 4th World Climate Research Programme, International Conference on Reanalyses, 7-12 May 2012, Silver Spring, MA. (PDF)
- Liu, Z, H.-C. Lin, Y.-H. K, T.-K. Wee, D. H. Bromwich, L. Bai, K. M. Hines, S.-H. Wang, 2012:: WRF atmospheric data assimilation: Lessons learnd from ASR. 4th World Climate Research Programme, International Conference on Reanalyses, 7-12 May 2012, Silver Spring, MA. (PDF)
- Barlage, M. D. H. Bromwich, L. Bai, and K. M. Hines, 2012:: Arctic System Reanalysis: Land surface parameter assimilation and model updates. 4th World Climate Research Programme, International Conference on Reanalyses, 7-12 May 2012, Silver Spring, MA. (PDF)
- The Ohio State University, Polar Meteorology Group: Polar WRF (PWRF)
- Arctic Data Center: https://www.arcticdata.io
- ECMWF Climate reanalysis: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/research/climate-reanalysis
- IASOA (International Arctic System for Observing the Atmosphere): https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/iasoa/
- JRA-55 (Japan 55-year Reanalysis): http://jra.kishou.go.jp/
- MERRA (Modern-Era Retrospetive Analysis for Research and Applications): https://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/reanalysis/MERRA
- MERRA-2 (Modern-Era Retrospetive Analysis for Research and Applications, version 2): https://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/reanalysis/MERRA-2
- NARR (North American Regional Reanalysis): http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/rreanl
- NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/reanalysis.html
- CFSR (The Climate Forecast System Reanalysis): http://cfs.ncep.noaa.gov/cfsr
Recent Presentations on ASR: