Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP) - Southern Hemisphere
Last modified on 2020-03-27
YOPP-SH Special Observing Period (SOP)
- Bromwich, D. H., K. Werner, B. Casati, J. G. Powers, I. V. Gorodetskaya, F. Massonnet, V. Vitale, V. J. Heinrich, D. Liggett, S. Arndt, E. Bazile, B. Barja, Y. Choi, S. R. Colwell, R. R. Cordero, M. Gervasi, T. Haiden, J. Inoue, T. Jung, H. Kalesse, M. A. Lazzara, K. W. Manning, K. Norris, S.-J. Park, I. Rigor, P. M. Rowe, P. Seifert, M. Zannoni and X. Zou, 2020: The Year of Polar Prediction in the Southern Hemisphere (YOPP-SH). Bull. Amer. Metero. Soc., submitted. Manuscript (PDF)
YOPP-SH Winter SOP: mid April - mid July, 2022 (updated March 2, 2020)
- 5th YOPP-SH Meeting, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, July 31, 2020, in conjunction with WAMC (CANCELLED)
- Due to the evolving issues related to COVID-19, and the cancellation of the SCAR 2020 meeting in Hobart Tasmania, the associated 5th YOPP in the Southern Hemisphere (YOPP-SH) meeting in Hobart on July 31, 2020 is regretfully also cancelled. More details here. Consultations regarding the winter Special Observing Period now scheduled for mid April-mid July 2022 will continue remotely.
YOPP-SH Summer SOP: Nov. 16, 2018 - Feb. 15, 2019, completed
YOPP-SH Mailing List
To facilitate communication within the YOPP-SH community, a mailing list has been set up. News that are relevant to the YOPP-SH community will be spread via firstname.lastname@example.org. To subscribe/unsubscribe, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Recent News/Meetings on YOPP-SH:
- 4th YOPP-SH Meeting, Charleston, SC, June 27-28, 2019, in conjunction with WAMC
- Special Observing Period for YOPP-SH: Nov. 16, 2018 - Feb. 15 , 2019
- Italian Research Projects Supporting YOPP-SH, Oct. 17, 2018
- A Winter Special Observing Period for YOPP-SH?
- Telecon discussion, Sept. 17-18, 2018 - K. Werner
- Motivation - M. Lazzara
- Summary of pros & cons - D. Bromwich
- Information about Saildrone Antarctic Circumnavigation, 2018-2019
- 3rd YOPP-SH Meeting, Madison, WI, July 19, 2018, in conjunction with WAMC
- Online discussions about YOPP-SH SOP on May. 15, 2018
- Online discussions about YOPP-SH SOP on Mar. 27, 2018
- Online discussions about YOPP-SH SOP on Feb. 28, 2018
- Drifting Buoy Deployment Plans, March, 2018 - I. Rigor
- YOPP-SH SOP Extra Radiosondes, Apr. 3, 2018 - K. Werner
- 2nd YOPP-SH Meeting, Boulder, CO, June 28-29, 2017, in conjunction with AMC
- Online discussions about YOPP-SH on Mar. 23, 2017
- Online discussions about YOPP-SH on Oct. 27 and Nov. 1, 2016
- 1st YOPP-SH Meeting, Columbus, OH, June 6, 2016
- YOPP Summit. WMO Headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland, 13-15 July, 2015. Final YOPP Summit Report (pdf)
- 2nd YOPP-SH Planning Meeting, Boulder, CO, June 28-29, 2017
- YOPP-SH Planning Meeting, Columbus, OH, June 6, 2016
- Gordon, N, 2015: The Polar Prediction Project and the Year of Polar Prediction. 11th International Conference on Southern Hemisphere Meteorology and Oceanography (ICSHMO), Santiago, Chile, 5 October, 2015. (pdf)
- Coordination Committee for YOPP-SH (Last updated: Apr. 21, 2017)
cover an extended period of coordinated intensive observational and modelling activities in order to improve polar prediction capabilities on a wide range of time scales in both polar regions.
strongly engage in forecast-stakeholder interaction, verification and a strong educational component.
- foster relationships with partners, provide common focussed objectives, and be held over a bit more than a one-year period in association with a field campaign providing additional observations.
coincide with, support, and draw on other related planned activities for polar regions.
be implemented in three different stages: a preparation phase (2013-2017), YOPP itself (mid-2017 - mid-2019), and a consolidation phase (2019-2022).
If you wish to subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org, the joint mailing list for polar weather and climate prediction and predictability by CliC and PPP (more than 400 subscribers), please send an e-mail to email@example.com
- YOPP-SH Planning Meeting Report 2, Boulder, CO (June 28-29, 2017)
- WWRP Polar Prediction Project, 2016: Implementation Plan for the Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP) Version 2.0. Full Tex (pdf)
- YOPP-SH Planning Meeting Report, Columbus, OH (June 6, 2016)
- Bradley, A., F. Massonnet, and J. Baeseman, 2015: Climate and Cryosphere Contributions for the Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP). Full Text (pdf)
- Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP) Summit Meeting Report, 2015. WMO Headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland, 13-15 July, 2015. Final YOPP Summit Report (pdf)
- Newman, L., L. Talley, M. Mazloff, B. Galton-Fenzi, S. Ackley, P. Heimbach, F. Massonnet, J. Shi, and M. Sparrow, 2015: Southern Ocean community comment on the Year of Polar Prediction Implementation Plan. SOOS Report Series #2. Full Text (pdf)
- WWRP Polar Prediction Project, 2014: Implementation Plan for the Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP). Full Tex (pdf)
- The Ohio State University, Polar Meteorology Group
- European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) http://www.ecmwf.int
- Polar Prediction Project http://www.polarprediction.net
- YOPP - The Year of Polar Prediction http://www.polarprediction.net/yopp-activities
- SCAR - The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research http://www.scar.org
- SOOS - Southern Ocean Observing System http://www.soos.aq
- CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR Southern Ocean Region Panel (SORP) http://www.clivar.org/clivar-panels/southern
Earlier News/Meetings on YOPP-SH:
Enable a significant improvement in environmental prediction capabilities for the polar regions and beyond, by coordinating a period of intensive observing, modelling, verification, user-engagement and education activities.
The Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP) is one of the key elements of the Polar Prediction Project. YOPP is scheduled to take place from mid-2017 to mid-2019.
Get your project endorsed by YOPP. Information and guidelines about the endorsement process are available at http://www.polarprediction.net/yopp-activities/yopp-endorsement
For Southern Hemisphere field campaigns and other activties (39 total) endorsed through the YOPP (YOPP Explorer - Antarctic)